One Heart Worldwide works in direct partnership with the Government of Nepal at the Federal and Provincial levels to ensure the alignment of our programs at the policy level, however , the bulk of our work is planned and conducted at the local municipality level (Palikas) level, with all program planning and implementation occurring in direct collaboration with each Palika we serve.
One Heart Worldwide does not establish a parallel healthcare system in competition with existing delivery structures, but instead strengthens local capacity. This approach ensures a continuum of care from the antenatal period to the postnatal period of a pregnancy, and from the household level to the referral hospital level. We build local capacity and expand the outreach of the government-supported healthcare infrastructure to ensure that every women and every newborn has access to the quality healthcare they deserve, anytime and anyplace.
Specifically, delineated in a formal contract with the Nepal government, One Heart Worldwide commits to:
- Provide training, medical equipment and supplies to implement appropriate maternal and neonatal health programs in specific districts
- Renovate, upgrade, and stock existing health facilities to become certified birthing centers
- Train government healthcare providers (especially nursing staff) to become certified Skilled Birth Attendants (SBAs)
- Train local health workers and Female Community Health Volunteers (FCHVs) as frontline health workers for maternal and newborn health
The Nepal government agrees to:
- Sponsor follow-up training for certified SBAs, health workers, and FCHVs
- Pay salaries for health workers and SBAs working in upgraded birthing centers
- Provide medical equipment replacements after OHW leaves the district
- Continue to provide financial (travel) incentives to pregnant women seeking services in certified birthing centers
By working closely with government and training local stakeholders, we ensure our programs are empowering to communities and set up systems that are sustainable beyond One Heart Worldwide involvement.
OUR COMMUNITY INVESTMENT
Our programs depend on significant community involvement.
We work in direct partnership with various community stakeholders so they are the ones to design, implement, and sustain OHW programs. We partner with local health facilities and management committees to oversee accurate program implementation. Specifically, these stakeholders ensure proper utilization of birthing centers long-term, which is especially important in remote, rural locations where the central district government often does not have as much reach.
By working with these local stakeholders, One Heart Worldwide integrates local communities to become the drivers of systemic change and innovation, and to be accountable for long-term progress and sustainability in their own communities.
In addition to our foundational partnerships, One Heart Worldwide is privileged to partner with an ever-evolving team of contributing organizations. All make an invaluable contribution to the lives of women, children, and communities around the world.